Saturday, May 8, 2010

Physical Therapy

Well yesturday I had my first physical therapy appointment. I am scheduled to have 2 appointments a week for who knows how long. He spent most of the time evaluating me and told me I definately had a bad gait....lol....I was thinking to myself...hmphhhhh you should see my fence~! lol No seriously he said I definately had some nerve damage and my reflex in my right leg was almost nil....that kind of impressed him...I am learning that when you impress someone in the medical field that is not a good thing. I never thought of it like that before but I guess it makes sense...to a doctor a mundane old cold is boring...but give him double pnuemonia with a bronchitis kicker and you have his attention and he is impressed!

He also told me that I was using my cane wrong. I had no idea. If they told me that at the hospital before they released me I really do not remember it. Evidently a cane should be held in the hand opposite of the leg/foot that is affected. In other words....right leg weakness - cane held in left hand. I was walking with my cane the way I did when I broke my leg - it was right for that injury but opposite for this stuff. So I did learn that. He gave me some exercises but for the life of me I cannot remember them....is short term memory loss a symptom of CES????? I know for a couple of them I used a ball - so I am going to buy a ball at Walmart this weekend - that ought to make the kids mad....a ball and they are not allowed to play with it...well I know Walker would kill it and Benson and Charles will fight over it so....NO BALL! lol
I am going to ask him if they have exercise sheets that show you how to do the exercises or lists what they are for a reminder so I can do them at home. I really think Physical therapy is a necessary evil....lol

No comments:

Post a Comment