Friday, September 24, 2010

So today is another day...

Goodness I seem to be saying that a lot lately.....I guess that is how I intend to pass the next 10 months ...one day at a time and one step at a time! Like I have a choice Ha Ha....I am kind of having a bad day today...just achy and my back feels really tight....I had the Dr. up my pain pills again...I now am taking 3 hydrocodones a day...2 was just not getting it....by this time every evening I was really hurting without that middle pill....now I am not so bad ...guess keeping the pain at a bearable level is the most important thing... most days it is something I can deal with...the getting up and bending over is the rough stuff.

I also have noticed my gait ...after I get started in the morning or after laying down....(I told a friend that I felt like a robot when I first stand up or get out of bed...have to get my gears going)...anyway after I get started in the mornings my gait is relatively good...I can make a concerted effort to walk without it seeming to show to much....but then as the day goes on and I tire out and my back starts aching...then I get what I refer to as a slap foot...(oh that sounds terrible....I hate how this whole process sounds......lol...slap foot...drop foot...incontinence...constipations...dysfunction...the list goes on and does not get any prettier.....lol...no where have I found the words that make me smile...like roses, or kisses....you get the idea....sorry bout that rant...)anyway...I have less and less control of my legs it seems and I put my foot out there and slap it down....or drag it...or trip over it because my toes did not lift as high as I thought they did....any way I think the key is the tired level and to get plenty of rest....

I know I need to learn to let people do things for me....omg that is the most horrible part of this whole mess....I want it done ...now....and my way...I recognize this...I own it...I have no problem with that at all....NOW...if you don't want to do that or can't do it...don't get mad at me if I try.....and sorry if I bite your head off....I sure don't mean to...it is just the meanness of this syndrome coming out in me......well atleast that is what I am saying! lol

I do love my tens unit.....it really has come in handy for the last couple of days....not sure why but I really feel like my back is trying to spasm...I am gonna have to read and see if that is a common thing amongst us sufferers ....is that a word????

I remember how hurtful the pain in my legs felt from the damaged nerves...the waves of pain...like muscle spasms and then when they hurt because the sheet was touching them....I am so glad that I am not experiencing pain like that any more....the spasm like things and sharp pains that shoot down from my butt cheeks....and then the tingling in my legs from the knees down and my feet ....even all that is not as bad as it was in the beginning....that was unbelievable pain...I would not wish that on anyone....

With that said I am ready to relax and try to enjoy my evening....going to do some wings later.....

Peace and pain free days to ya!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came across your blog in my search for as much info I can get on Cauda Equina Syndrome. I believe I have been suffering with this for about 11 months.....am really scared as I have avoided surgery on disc herniations and degeneration from L3 - S1 for 10 years! It wasn't until this last week that I actually, out of sheer frustration, put all of my symptoms together. I have been experiencing different symptoms almost automonically for these past months , been reporting each nre development to my personal doctor. Never until now have I realized that each separate issue I was experiencing came together and it actually has a name!
    How did u come to know your diagnosis? Was it sudden or gradual onset? Have you had any surgery to relieve the pressure?
    Thanks for any info you can give......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah...Thank you for posting on my blog....I wasn't sure there were people really out there....lol....I like you had complained for years about back pain, leg pain, not being able to pee...it was craziness....then one day I could not get out of bed...my right leg and foot were numb but hurting so bad I could not walk. (I explain what happened on the first part of this blog)my foot was gone...I could not even lift it off the floor...I thought I had had a stroke or something...it was horrible. After testing and such I was referred by my GP to John Hopkins in Baltimore Maryland....I went for my drs appointment and hours later was on the operating table....it was very sudden. I learned my diagnosis by reading my doctors report....they gave me my records for my GP and because I lived so far away from them it was easier and I read them...there it was in black and white...so I started reading...and here I am today...If I can help you in any way please let me know....I will gladly help you!

    ReplyDelete