Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Life of Cauda Equina.....

OK.......I have decided to start a Blog....my very first one...ta daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I have been handed a test in my life and I need information, support, an outlet...you call it what you want ....I need to discuss this and say what is on my mind about it.....Welcome to the world of Cauda Equina Syndrome.

Lets start this adventure with my name and my story....I am Lynn ....I live in a very very rural town in West Virginia...27 students in the graduating class last year...I kid you not....I live a quiet life with my husband, my dogs, and my grandchildren and their father at the end of my lane. We live in a small cedar home on a lake in the woods....Life has been very good to me. I am 55 years old, married for 39 years to a coal miner, my soul mate and best friend. I have one son, a coal miner who is presently going thru a divorce (I only add this because I feel that stress has a bearing on this wonderful syndrome) and is the father of two boys, 10 and 12.

I am the proud half of a Therapy Dog Team...I have two Rottweilers. Sativa my girl is a licensed therapy dog and until three years ago we visited nursing homes on a regular basis and were also active members of Hospice of Garrett County Maryland. Then I have my "little boy dog" Walker...he was / is my dream dog. I had plans to show him then I fell and broke my left leg in three places and snapped my ankle off....so we wasted two years learning to walk again....now this.. Cauda Equina Syndrome....but life goes on and so do we!

My life with this syndrome began on January 24, 2010. I woke up and could not walk. I was in horrible pain...the worse pain I have ever endured. I was sure I had slept wrong when I woke up and could not move...my husband helped me out of bed and my foot was not there....it was numb and dragging....numb but hurting at the same time, kind of like it was asleep and I could not lift it...I had never heard of drop foot. Well truth is I am not the type of person that runs to the doctors at the drop of a hat...it is not on my list of fun things to do! I babied my back as I had back pain with ice for a few days with ice and ate any kind of pain pill I had available to me for a day or two. I finally had to admit that something was wrong and called my doctor. The next day I went to the Doctors and he took one look at me and said something is really wrong with you huh? Well yeahhhhhhhhh....he did a few muscle tone test and ordered a MRI never mentioning the name Cauda Equina Syndrome but thinking something was going on with the disc and we needed to find out immediately. Well that was Friday, on Monday I had the MRI, Tuesday he called me and told me that I needed to see a Neurologist ASAP and he recommended a Doctor at John Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore Maryland. Wednesday Dr. Nair office called me and scheduled an appointment for me on Friday. I can remember thinking "wow..that's fast...maybe he can fix me up and my legs won't hurt anymore".

Friday Feb 5, 2010 was a history making day in my opinion and also to those on the East Coast...we were in the beginning of a history making blizzard..Baltimore and surrounding area was brought to a stop.....I remember we called the Dr on the way down to make sure he would still be in his office and they were going to wait for us because we were driving so far. Well we were at the office at 1:30 pm and after looking at my MRI and ordering some more xrays...and testing this and questioning that....I was on the operating table about 6-7 hours later. Dr. Nair wasted no time. I have never been treated so well by a doctor..except mine here at home. I feel very blessed to have what I feel is good medical care, the problem is no one knows much about this syndrome because it is so rare and the answers they do have leave you wanting more information and guarantees...and with this there is no certainties.

So I have my surgery and am in the hospital for 4 days...my cousin Roxy got snowed in with me but that is a whole different story and again I am blessed by having a wonderful family, she never left my side! I then went to my other cousins house (Roxys sisters house) and took over her bedroom....I could not get home...the snow was too deep and I had 17 staples in my back. I was walking with a walker and I was getting up to go to the bathroom by myself but other than that I was pretty well taken care of by Vanna and her family. I remember sitting there looking out of her bedroom window thinking that I could not wait until this was over and I was home with my dogs and doing my thing...taking care of my family and cooking and cleaning ....my life. I never dreamed that I would be dealing with issues for what looks like could be forever!

Finally I was transported by my other cousin, Nathan and his wife...(...lol...this is really beginning to sound like a West Virginia thing here....Honestly my family is from Maryland...I moved here by choice!) to my mothers house...I still could not get back on the mountain to my husband and my family...I was stuck in the snow literally!

While I was at my Mothers I noticed that I was having problems with numbness still and I seemed to be peeing myself even more than usual. I had been having incontinence problems for awhile and had a cystoscope this past October. My complaints were incontinence and frequent bladder infections. I also could not pee...if that makes sense...I did not get the urge to pee but when I did I better be there or an accident was going to happen.....(bless you depends!).


The results of the cystoscope was that I have a under active bladder...not sure why....take this (macrodantin Sp?) as a maintenance antibiotic and that should keep the infections under control....ok...ummmmmmmmm why is my bladder under active?....why does it not empty all the way? These questions were like a million dollar question...you never really get the answer...it just is. As I look back now I think why didn't my urologist connect this with nerve damage...has he never seen an under active bladder before and questioning WHY or does he just hand out maintenance antibiotics? I remember filling out the papers for my medical history...I do not have copies of them but I can guarantee you that if it asked about leg pain or arthritis I would have checked yes...Hmmmmmmmmmmm that's 2 red flags of Cauda Equina....I just have a hard time understanding why someone did not start to put the signs together.

My life has changed in so many ways that it is not funny. I am now taking medicine all the time, I have pain continuously, I don't sleep at night, I walk with a cane and the list goes on.

I wonder how many people are out there with this going on...I have a zillion questions...it is just craziness.

I am hoping with this blog to learn from others and share my story or journey as I like to think of it....I know I will come thru this being a better person...and I know I can always look around and see someone in worse shape than I am in....this is what keeps me going...that and my family and my belief in God. I am thankful for what I have....scared of what might be...and learning to accept....this my friends is a indeed a journey.

More tomorrow....peace to you all.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. You should have a woman urologist and be self catheterizing at least in the beginning. They should have kept you in the hospital to teach you these things then sent you to rehab. I know they didn't give me rehab, either, but that was 16 years ago and my insurance wasn't so great. Congrats on the blog!
    aka Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually these problems seem to be getting worse with the bladder but it could be because I am fighting a bladder infection at the moment...or maybe I am just looking for things...I have an appointment the 20th of May with a new Urologist for another cystoscope and some other testing he wants to do....So far my insurance has been great...Today is another day! Thanks for stopping by here and I hope you keep coming back ...I just know you and I are going to become fast friends...and I know you are wealth of information and ummmm I plan on using you and picking your brain!!! :-) I feel kind of limited at to what and how long I can talk on Facebook thus the blog...I really run my mouth alot! lol Thanks again Joanna for stopping bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start to your very 1st blog, Lynn! I didnt realize that you have so many health issues and I sure am sorry about it! I have never heard of your condition before and it sounds awful! I will say a prayer for you!! You sure do have a postive attitude about it and Im sure it will be most helpfull in the long run! Have you looked online for support groups? That might be helpfull!! I will keep in touch, and keep blogging, nice way to "vent"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the sad part about this Peg....NO ONE has heard of it..unless you have a back injury I guess it is never heard tell of! The real problem is that the drs do not put 2 ans 2 together...Thank God for Kenny Hawk! I was just lucky that I had Drs that jumped right on it and the fact that Kenny knows me and knows I do not mess with Drs unless I have to. He took one look at me and knew that something was wrong! Truth is Peggy...I didn't really have alot of medical problems until this...I just had a back ache, my legs hurt and sometimes I got bladder infections and could not pee right...normal things for the normal person...or so I thought! Thanks for checking in Peggy...your friendship means alot to me! Later tater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jani! Nice to meet you....I was wondering are your voiding problems due to CES? Is it hard to do? Does It hurt? I cannot associate anything but pain to it in my mind as I remember having tests before that required it and it was not fun! So far I am peeing by myself about 3 times a day....and I then have to concentrate to make myself go. It is becoming a process...the bowels are another thing..I really need to get on a schedule or something with that. Guess I will have to do some more reading for hints and such.
    Thanks so much for contacting me! My email is craftylady82@hotmail.com I hope we can keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg...Jani...I deleted your post my mistake...I am sooo sorry...I answered you and was not satisfied with my answer and went to delete it and deleted you instead! I am sooooo sorry...I am not the best computer person in the world and do dumb stuff all the time...I am sorry!

    I was referring to your cathing when I asked if it hurt and such...I have never cathed and I can only imagine it would hurt...I still have my saddle area feeling..sex is a bit different but I hurt and burn when I pee and have a bladder infection so I would think I would feel a cath and it would hurt!

    Do you have your problems due to CES or something else?

    Again thanks for getting in touch with me...I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNOW IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I HAVE THE HARDEST TIME SIGNING IN HERE.
    I'VE BEEN CATHING 6-7 YEARS CAUSED BY M.S. NO INFECTIONS YET HOPE I'M NOT JINXING MYSELF BY SAYING THAT. WHEN YOU FIRST START OUT YOU MIGHT POKE YOURSELF A LITTLE TILL YOU GET THE HANG OF FINDING THE RIGHT HOLE BUT AFTER A WHILE IT'S A CINCH.
    I DON'T MIND DISCUSSING THIS STUFF SOMETIMES IT HELPS TO TALK TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT. ANYTHING I CAN DO LET ME KNOW,O.K.
    IF YOU DON'T MIND MY ASKING WHERE DID YOU GO TO?
    JUST BEING NOSY.
    TAKE CARE AND STAY SAFE.
    JANI

    ReplyDelete
  9. None of my doctors have said anything about self cathing to me. I manage to go by myself about 3 times a day with the help of a diuretic, Lasix, that I take two times a day. I had a cystoscope in October because I was having recurring bladder infections. I also to the dr that I could not pee. If I did not take the fluid pill...I did not pee. Well he did the cystoscope and told me my bladder was underactive and stretched my utretha so I could pee a bigger stream...and put me on a maintenence antibiotice because I did not empty all the way. Then I was dismissed with a perscription. Now I realize that is a red flag for Cauda Equina Syndrome. That coupled with the leg pain...it just seems to me my family doctor or urologist should have caught this and had he maybe I would not be having the issues I have now. I just wonder why drs do not listen to you when you tell them something.

    ttyl,

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sorry...I was referred to John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore by my new family physcian when I first was hit with this. I got an appointment with Dr. Nair who is stationed at Good Sameratin Hospital on Loch Raven Blvd. He is Chief of Neurology and Head of the Spinal Clinic at John Hopkins. He has sent me to see a urologist at GSM also...I go to him the 20th of May for another Cystoscope and to measure my bladder to see when it empties...confusing to me...but as long as I pee I am a happy camper! lol

    Later tater,

    me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a wonderful job with your blog and I hope it helps with answers and maybe gain some new friends!!! Im always across the street if ya need anything

    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well this blog took a u turn somewhere...I got so involved physically with the CES and my back that I have pretty much ignored my blog....well I am back...Alot has happened since the last entry...truthfully I thought I would be healed by this time....truth is I am not much better...still have many issues...and numb feet....lol...at any rate I am back...I need to write I think and need to put it into words...lots of feelings bogged up here...love to you all...I will gather my thoughts and try to make you abreast of my condition both physically and emotionally...be ware..it could be scarey!

    ReplyDelete